#10 – Barry
The one with NoHo Hank.
This week we’re chasing our Hollywood dreams with HBO’s Barry, which just returned to TV after 3 years where absolutely nothing noteworthy happened in the world. Get caught up (or meet Bill Hader’s Barry Berkman for the first time) as we break our review into two parts: First we’ll revisit the first episode from 2018 and talk about what makes it such a killer pilot, then we’ll dig into a spoiler-packed discussion of the first two episodes of Season 3.
Plus, the latest on the Netflocalypse, a flurry of action from the newly-merged Warner Bros. Discovery (forever known as “WaBroDisco”), and a listener question about the future of streaming news caps off our in memoriam tribute to CNN+.
📺 Review: Barry
🚨 Spoiler Alert for Season 1, Episode 1 (starting at 40:41) 🚨 🚨 Spoiler Alert for Season 3, Episodes 1-2 (starting at 59:42) 🚨
- Number of Seasons Overall: 3
- Where to Watch: HBO
- Where to Stream: HBO Max
- CNN+ Streaming Service Will Shut Down Weeks After Its Start – Michael M. Grynbaum, John Koblin and Benjamin Mullin, The New York Times
- Warner Bros. Discovery Cuts Scripted Programming at TBS, TNT – Jennifer Maas and Joe Otterson, Variety
- Blame the Emmys for This Month's Ridiculous Number of TV Premieres – Michael Schneider, Variety
- Netflix’s Big Wake-Up Call: The Power Clash Behind the Crash – Kim Masters, The Hollywood Reporter
- ‘Space Force’ Canceled By Netflix After 2 Seasons – Nellie Andreeva, Deadline
- Netflix kills the ‘Bone’ show as its Original Animation department pretty much falls apart – William Hughes, The A.V. Club
- Netflix’s Sonic show has Sonic and rings and what more could we want – Petrana Radulovic, Polygon
- What Do Netflix’s Tudum Layoffs Actually Mean for Media? – Tirhakah Love, Vulture
- ‘Barry’: What to Remember Before Season 3 – Brian Tallerico, Vulture
- Interview: Anthony Carrigan on NoHo Hank's big reveal in last night's Barry – Alison Foreman, The A.V. Club